Can Cats Overdose On Catnip?

In this article, we will be answering the question “can cats overdose on catnip“? Since publishing our article on how to get your cat to eat catnip, we have noticed a large number of cat owners asking if their cats can actually overdose on too much catnip.

We have decided to research the topic and publish this article in an attempt to help as many of our readers as possible who have the exact same question. Although we will go into much more detail within the article, we would just like to quickly answer the question. Yes, cats can overdose on catnip and a catnip overdose is usually harmless but may result in some slight drooling or vomiting.

Click Here To Check For The Best Price On High-Quality Cat Nip!

Can Cats Overdose On Catnip

As we have already touched on, the catnip plant is able to cause your pet cat to “overdose” if it is given too much access to it. The nepetalactone within the catnip herb is the reason your cat will act strangely when exposed to it. Although not lethal, nepetalactone can have some adverse effects in large amounts.

The effects of catnip under regular exposure usually involve:-

  • Rubbing against the catnip
  • Energy spikes
  • Running around in a crazed manner
  • Sniffing the catnip constantly
  • Licking the catnip constantly
  • Eating the catnip
  • Aggressiveness (small number of cats)
  • Extreme relaxation
  • Rolling around
  • Being extra playful

That said, some cats are totally immune to the effects of catnip if your cat is one of these then no matter how much catnip it has access to, nothing at all will ever happen.

How Long Does This Last

The effects of regular exposure to catnip will usually last between ten and thirty minutes. Once the cat has come down, the antibodies in its blood will usually prevent catnip having an effect on the cat for around an hour or so.

Can Cats Overdose On Catnip

The Symptoms Of A Catnip Overdose

As we touched on earlier, the two main symptoms of a catnip overdose as drooling and slight vomiting. Some cats may also experience diarrhea but it usually clears up very quickly. The vast majority of cats seem to have an internal catnip monitor and they often know their limits and will stop before they get to this stage.

If your cat does end up having these catnip overdose symptoms then they usually clear up within the same time frame of regular catnips symptoms of ten to thirty minutes.

Can Cats Overdose On Dried Catnip

Yes, as we touched on earlier in the article, it is the nepetalactone that the cat has the reaction to, not the catnip itself. Dried catnip still has plenty of nepetalactone within it meaning your cat can still have a reaction to it.

The symptoms of regular and overdose exposure to the dried version of the herb are identical to fresh and liquid catnip. The symptoms of dried catnip will usually clear themselves up within the same time frame of ten to thirty minutes too.

Click Here To Read More Of Our Articles About Cats!