In this article, we will be taking a look at what to feed baby painted turtles to help them grow and develop at optimum rates. Painted turtles have been steadily increasing in popularity as pets over the past few years and we have seen more and more people reaching out for help on what to feed their new pets.
We have researched the best food types for baby painted turtles currently available on the market and decided to publish this article. Our hope is that it will be able to help any of our readers who have recently purchased a pet painted turtle and need advice on what to feed it.
What To Feed Baby Painted Turtles
Painted turtles are omnivores meaning that they will eat a diet containing both meat and plant-based food types. It is common for them to only eat once every two or three days so don’t get worried if this is the case for yours. Just ensure that there is always a little bit of food on offer so your pet turtle can eat when it wants.
When it comes to meat we recommend that you feed your pet turtle any of the following:-
When it comes to plant-based foods we recommend that you feed your pet turtle any of these:-
The Best Food For Baby Painted Turtles
The freeze drying process has come on leaps and bounds over the past few years. These advancements have allowed the process to retain a much large amount of nutrients to put it closer to the nutritional profile of live crickets offering a possible alternative food source if you don’t want live bugs in your home.
Features And Benefits
Crickets are an excellent source of nutrition for baby painted turtles, they are packed with protein to help it grow at optimal rates while also providing a wide range of vitamins and minerals. Try to get either quarter inch or half inch long crickets as they are easier for a baby painted turtle to swallow.
- This report comments on how they ordered crickets and they were delivered in ninety-degree heat but they managed to survive sitting in a box in that heat for hours. They go on to mention how they all survived until they had used them all as a food source for their pet. They mention how they were impressed with the supplier and that these live crickets were much more active than the ones from their local pet store.
- This report comments on how delivery of their crickets was quick and that they were alive when delivered and couldn’t see a single dead cricket in the box. They mention how they lived until they were all used as a food source for their pet and that they will definitely be ordering crickets from this supplier again.
- This report comments on how they are happy with their live cricket order and that it is the second time that they have ordered from this supplier. They mention that they are happy as these crickets last much longer than the ones they used to purchase at their local pet stores.
- This report comments on how their order of crickets turned up alive and well without any issues. They mention that the box they came in was perfect for the storage of crickets and that their pets love eating them. They finish by mention how they will be a repeat customer.
- This report comments on how they were impressed with this product and that they were impressed that they were all alive on delivery. They finish by saying that they will be ordering their live crickets from this supplier in the future.
The image below shows the full nutritional breakdown for the dried crickets that we recommend to our readers.
The Second Best Food For Baby Painted Turtles
Features And Benefits
Mealworms are an excellent source of protein for your baby turtle that can help it grow and develop while also being easy for them to chew and swallow. They are jam-packed with vitamins and minerals helping to increase the over all nutriant profile being offered to your turtle and make an excellent corner stone of a healthy diet.
The image below shows the nutritional breakdown for our recommended dried mealworm.
Shared under Creative Commons – https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Christian Holland – Painted turtle, Charles River, Watertown, Massachusetts- https://flic.kr/p/aDifHL