In this article, we will be taking a look at what to feed baby leopard geckos to help them grow at optimum rates. With leopard geckos becoming more and more popular as pets we have noticed a number of new owners reaching out for advice on how best to feed their baby leopard geckos.
We have decided to research the topic and find out what the best food types are and publish this article in an attempt to help as many of our readers who find themselves in this same situation and needing advice on what they should be doing.
What To Feed Baby Leopard Geckos
As leopard geckos are insectivores, they require a diet made up of insects so don’t be surprised if your baby leopard gecko totally ignores any fruit or vegetables that you try to introduce to its diet.
Although we will be covering them in more detail throughout the article, when looking at what baby leopard geckos eat in captivity the majority of people seem to use either of the following:-
The Best Food To Feed A Baby Leopard Gecko
In our opinion, the best food to feed a baby gecko and the food that should be one of the main food sources in its diet are live crickets. We recommend live over dried as they have a higher level of nutrients in them but developments in the freeze drying process over the past five to ten years have narrowed the nutritional gap substantially.
Due to this, some gecko owners will choose to feed high-quality dried crickets to their geckos instead. Dried crickets will last longer and some people don’t like the idea of having a box full of live crickets in their house.
Features And Benefits
Live crickets are an excellent food staple for a Baby Leopard Gecko, just try to ensure that you get either get one quarter inch crickets or half inch crickets depending on the size of your baby gecko. This will make it easier for your pet to eat them and reduce the chance of a choking hazard. As your leopard gecko grows larger you can look to moving it over to one inch long crickets as its main food.
If you have chosen to use dried crickets as your main food source then they can easily be broken up into smaller parts before feeding as it is usually much harder to find smaller dried crickets than it is for alive ones.
They are an excellent source of high-quality protein to help your baby leopard gecko grow at optimum rates and develop healthy lean muscles. Additionally, they are an excellent source of nutrients that are packed with essential vitamins and minerals to help keep your gecko healthy.
- This report comments on how their live crickets arrived quickly and that the vast majority of them were alive and well. They mention how it is impossible to count the crickets to make sure that they got as many as they ordered but they would be shocked if they had gotten any less. They mention how the packaging the product comes in is easy to open and that you can easily put the crickets into your pet’s cage for feeding.
- This report comments on how they are very satisfied with the product and that they feel that they had a very good experience for a first time customer of this supplier. They also mention that they will be ordering again.
- This report comments on how they crickets they ordered were alive and well on delivery and that they don’t think that there was even one dead. They also mention that they comment on how their pet loves them.
The image below shows the nutritional breakdown for the dried crickets product that we recommend.
The Second Best Food To Feed A Baby Leopard Gecko
Features And Benefits
Similar to live crickets, live mealworms are an excellent source of protein for your pet baby leopard gecko as well as being jam-packed with essential vitamins and minerals that help your pet grow and develop at optimum rates.
They tend to be softer and smaller than many crickets making them easier for your baby gecko to swallow and digest but we feel that the overall nutritional profile of crickets is better and that’s why we feel crickets should be the main food source.
- This report comments on how they feel that these are the best mealworms that they have been able to find in the United States of America. They mention that they also feel that the price of them is reasonable and that they are everything that they have been looking for in a pet food source.
- This report comments on how their pet loves these mealworms. They mention that they feel that these are wonderful mealworm and that they have used competitors in the past but many of the worms were dead on arrival when using them so they moved over to this supplier.
- This report comments on how they ordered one thousand of these mealworms and that they were delivered quickly. They mention that they were all alive when they were delivered and that they are impressed with this supplier.
The image below shows the nutritional profile of our recommended dried mealworm supplier.
Shared under Creative Commons – https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Renee – Valor Portrait – https://flic.kr/p/23nLJDi