In this article, we will be answering the question of what kind of cage does a hedgehog need? With hedgehogs becoming more and more popular as domestic pets, we have seen an increase in the number of either hedgehog owners or would be hedgehog owners reaching out for advice.
We have researched the various cages currently available on the market that are suitable for hedgehog accommodation. We have settled on three products that all have an excellent reputation as well as hedgehog owners currently using them as their hedgehog’s cage. We have chosen one high-end cage, a middle of the road cage, and a budget cage to help meet the requirements of each price point.
What Kind Of Cage Does A Hedgehog Need
We will be covering all of the cages in more detail later in the article but here is a short list with that you can click to see the actual cage and read more about it if you wish:-
- The Best Premium Hedgehog Cage On The Market
- The Best Mid-Priced Hedgehog Cage On The Market (Click here to read reviews from hedgehog owners)
- The Best Budget Hedgehog Cage On The Market
- The Best Super Budget Hedgehog Cage On The Market
The Best Premium Hedgehog Cage On The Market
The first cage suitable for hedgehogs that we will be covering is the Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit, our premium priced offering but as you would expect from its price, it is the best cage by far on our list. It is one of, if not the market leading premium cage on the market right now for small animals like hedgehogs and it has an excellent reputation amongst the community.
With this cage being so popular there are plenty of reviews online from third-party, independent small pet owners. You can click here to read some reviews of this cage left by other hedgehog owners or you can click here to read reviews from other small pet owners using this as their pet’s cage.
Features And Benefits
The Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit with Stand is currently available in two main variants as well as an addon. There is the single story cage, the double story cage, and the add-on cage so you can expand to a three or more story cage if you like.
The cage foods have been designed to be as large as possible to allow quick and easy access to the cage for cleaning and feeding. The wire spacing of the cage has been designed to be half an inch wide to allow your pet hedgehog to explore the cage and climb up onto its back legs when looking around the room without getting its paw stuck.
If you choose to get the double story version or addon for the cage, the ramp covers keep your pet’s feet safe and provide grip to prevent your pet from slipping down. The trays of the cage are also high-quality plastic allowing you to quickly and easily clean them when required.
Question – What are the dimensions of the Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit with Stand?
Answer – The single cage and each floor or add-on of the other models is approximately 36″L x 24″W x 24 1/2″H.
Question – Are the wires in the Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit with Stand wire coated?
Answer – Yes, they powder coated.
- This report comments on how they have two hedgehogs and that their old cage was not fit for purpose. They mention that they decided to get the add-on unit for their hedgehogs and that in their opinion it works amazingly.
- This report comments on how in their opinion, the Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit is the best available on the market. They mention how they have multiple hedgehogs and have a two section cage for them.
- This report comments on how they use the Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit to house their pet hedgehog as well as their pet hamster. They mention how the hedgehog has the top while the hamster lives in the bottom part of the cage. They confirm that they have plenty of room in the cage even with all of their toys and that they wouldn’t purchase any other cage for their hedgehog.
- This report comments on how they use the Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit for their pet hedgehog. They mention that it was a little difficult to assemble but they are pleased with the amount of room it offers their hedgehog to play in.
- This report comments on how the Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit is a high-quality cage that is heavy duty and has plenty of room.
The Best Mid-Priced Hedgehog Cage On The Market
Features And Benefits
The Living World Deluxe Habitat has been designed to provide your pet hedgehog with everything it needs in a small and safe cage. Even though it is a smaller size, it still has plenty of room for your hedgehog to move around and play as it pleases without being confined.
The plastic base of the cage can be quickly and easily cleaned during maintenance with the room opening system providing your with plenty of reach to get your arm in for cleaning or to get your pet out if required. Some other competing cages only have a small opening that can restrict the movement of your arm making it difficult to clean the cage without totally de-building it.
The balcony level in the cage offers you hedgehog an elevated level with better vision of the room so it can easily see the goings on of the household without having to stretch. The cage wire is strong enough that you can easily attach toys for your pet hedgehog to it without the risk of warping the cage shape. You can also easily attach essentials such as water bottles or food dishes without a problem.
Question – How deep is the pan in the Living World Deluxe Habitat?
Answer – It is seven and a half inches deep.
Question – Can you remove the balcony level of the Living World Deluxe Habitat?
Answer – Yes it is fully detachable.
Question – Can I house more than one hedgehog in the Living World Deluxe Habitat?
Answer – This depends on the breed of hedgehog you have as they grow to be different sizes. We would guess that you can house two hedgehogs of any breed in it comfortably and possibly more of the smaller breeds.
- This report comments on how they love the Living World Deluxe Habitat for their pet hedgehog and that they feel that it is a nice cage. They mention that they just put a bunch of bedding the den area under the balcony as she likes sitting in there.
- This report comments on how their pet hedgehog loves the Living World Deluxe Habitat. They mention that he also likes the den under the balcony area and he uses it as his napping spot. They mention that there is plenty of room for hedgehog toys such as an exercise Wheel too.
- This report comments on how they picked up the Living World Deluxe Habitat for their pet hedgehog. They mention how they feel it will never need replacing and that their hedgehog also loves the den area of the cage under the balcony. They mention that they feel the cage is very accommodating and can easily fit an exercise wheel and hedgehog litterbox in it without a problem.
The Best Budget Hedgehog Cage On The Market
With such a large core customer base of small pet owners, there are plenty of reviews of this product online. You can click here to read some reviews that have been left by other third-party, independent hedgehog owners or you can click here to read some independent reviews that have been left by owners of other small animals.
Features And Benefits
The Guinea Habitat by MidWest can provide up to eight square feet in total for your pet hedgehog to live in. It has been recommended by veterinarians as well as many successful breeders of popular small pets.
The wire mesh on the cage is totally removable allowing you to easily clean the full cage when required. The PVC lined bottom canvas is totally leak proof helping to contain any accidents your hedgehog may have in its cage if it misses its litter tray. It is also easily washable with a damp cloth helping to quickly wash the cage when you don’t want to do a full deep clean.