In this article, we will be answering the question what do you feed geckos? With geckos steadily gaining in popularity as pets all over the world we see a number of gecko owners reaching out for advice on how best to care for their pet. Now the answer to this question depends on the type of gecko that you own as different geckos required different diets.
For example, leopard geckos are insectivores and do best on a diet based purely of various types of insects such as crickets and mealworms. Crested geckos are frugivores and do best on a diet of various types of fruit and like the majority of geckos commonly kept as pets, species such as Rhacodactylus leachianus are omnivores and do best on a diet that contains both insects and fruit.
We have researched the various popular food types commonly fed to pet geckos and settled on what we feel are the best that offer a high-quality product that gives value for money. Our hope is that this article will be able to help any of our gecko owning readers who find themselves needing help on their pet geckos diet.
A High-Quality Premade Gecko Food
We would recommend that you use a product such as Pangea Fruit Mix With Insects if your gecko is an omnivore or Pangea Fruit Mix Complete if your gecko is a frugivore. They both have an excellent reputation within the gecko owning community and have proven to be very popular. Their existing core customer base of gecko owners have left plenty of reviews online sharing both their and their gecko’s experiences with the food.
Features And Benefits
The various foods produced by Pangea have been formulated to offer a cheap and easy to use product that offers your pet gecko the perfect nutritional breakdown. There are multiple versions of the food mix available to ensure that there is something available for your gecko no matter its advised diet.
All of these food mixes have been developed over the course of five years with a partnership with one of the largest collections of pet geckos held in the United States of America. This extensive testing has helped remove the dangers of feeding your pet gecko food that has been designed for humans rather than geckos.
Question – Where are the Pangea gecko foods produced?
Answer – They are made in the United States of America.
Question – What is the shelf life of the Pangea gecko foods once opened?
Answer – They can last anywhere from four months to twelve months depending on storage conditions.
Question – Can I feed Pangea gecko foods to wild geckos in my garden?
Answer – Yes they can be fed to wild geckos as well as pet geckos.
- This report comments on how their pet gecko would only eat a competing gecko food until they tried it with this. They mention that they even tried using other foods topped with bee pollen to try and make it taste better but their gecko showed no interest. They mention that their pet gecko loves this product and that their friends who breed geckos also only use Pangea gecko food for their pets now too.
- This report comments on how their pet gecko is a picky eater. They mention that they have tried a whole bunch of different products and flavors but their gecko simply went on hunger strike. They mention that they then decided to give Pangea gecko foods a try and that their gecko immediately ate it without protest.
- This report comments on how their gecko is a picky eater and that they have also tried a bunch of other different gecko foods that they had no luck with and that their pet gecko would only eat the bare minimum. They mention that he will eat this product without protest and even lounges at his food dish to get it quicker.
- This report comments on how they feel that Pangea gecko foods are a good product that their pet gecko will actually eat. They mention that they have had their gecko for around a year but she would usually only eat once a week. They mention that with this product their gecko will eat all of the food it is provided with and that they would highly recommend this food.
Live Or Dried Crickets
Although we would always recommend feeding high-quality live crickets to your geckos when possible due to their additional nutrition, you can also find high-quality sources of dried crickets to use too. Thankfully, recent developments in the freeze drying process of these crickets have helped increase the amount of nutrition they hold meaning more nutrition to your gecko.
- This report comments on how they purchased live crickets for their pet gecko. They mention that their pet geckos love live crickets and that they would definitely buy them again as a food source for their pets.
- This report comments on how they decided to get some live crickets for their pet geckos and that they were happy that they could not see a dead cricket in the packaging when it arrived. They mention that they will definitely buy live crickets for their geckos again and that they would highly recommend them to other gecko owners.
The image below shows the full nutritional profile for Fluker’s Freeze Dried Crickets that are an ideal food source for your pet gecko.
Live Or Dried Mealworm
Again, live mealworms are our go due to a higher nutritional value but many gecko owners don’t like the idea of having live bugs in their home so dried mealworms are a valid alternative. As we mentioned earlier, a whole bunch of advancements has been made in how companies freeze dry bugs meaning modern products hold much more nutrients than they did five to ten years ago.