In this article, we will be taking a look at the best substrate for planted aquariums currently available on the market today. With more and more people becoming aquarium enthusiasts we have noticed a steadily increasing number of people reaching out for help on what substrate they should be using for their plants in their aquariums.
We have decided to research the market and the various products currently available and have decided to publish this article in an attempt to help as many other aquarium enthusiasts out there as possible.
The Best Substrate For Planted Aquariums On The Market!
Since its release, this substrate has quickly managed to establish itself as the market-leading product out there and shows no sign of losing to the top spot to any competing product. There are a large number of other aquarium enthusiasts out there who are currently using Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate for their aquariums.
They have left a whole bunch of reviews of the product online that you can read by clicking here if you like. All of those reviews are from third-party, independent aquarium enthusiasts who either currently are or have recently used Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate in their aquariums.
Features And Benefits
Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate is a high-quality complete substrate that is ideal for any planted aquarium. Not only does it form an excellent root base for your plants to grow but also contains various essential trace elements for optimal plant growth and root growth.
This is a new and improved formula that has been specifically designed to enhance the potential root development. It is made from the richest possible basaltic volcanic soil. The Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Sulfur, and over twenty-five other elements offer all the nutrients that your plants could ever need.
The substrate is also one hundred percent free from artificial dyes, pains or chemical coats as some competing products use. This means there are no hazards in the product that you may accidentally add to your aquarium when using the substrate.
We would also like to mention that Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate also contains various porous grains that contain live Heterotrophic bacteria. This helps to quickly and effortlessly convert fish waste into a natural food source for any plants that you have growing in your aquarium. This essentially creates an optimal natural biological balance that further increases the growth rate of your plants.
Question – Where is Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate made?
Answer – It is made in the United States of America.
Question – Will Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate harm the fish living in my aquarium tank?
Answer – No, as we touched on above, it has actually been designed to work hand in hand with any fish in the aquarium to assist your plants with optimal growth.
Question – Do I have to wash Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate before adding it to my aquarium tank?
Answer – No, it has been specifically designed to work without the need to wash it. Simply add it to your aquarium and let it settle before planing your aquarium out and adding fish.
We have searched the web for some reports on Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate from independent aquarium enthusiasts who have no connection to our blog. We find that offering these reports to our readers helps give a well-rounded view of any product that we recommend.
We have summarised the reports to make them quicker to read but you can click on each report link to be taken to the original report to read it in full if you like.
- This report comments on how they purchased two bags of Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate for their twenty-five-gallon tank. They mention that this particular aquarium was an established tank with plenty of activity before they decided to move it over to this substrate. They mention that they completely changed over the gravel to this in a single day without issue, they confirm that their water was only cloudy for a matter of hours and that there was no harm to their fish. In the title of their report, they also comment on how they feel that Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate is an awesome substrate for plants.
- This report comments on how they decided to directly add their Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate to their tank without washing it. They go on to mention that the substrate is a good size as they thought it may be small. They confirm that it has not caused any problems with their Corys or Pleco in the tank and that their plants are thriving. They also mention that it is low maintenance, looks great, and that they feel that it is a must buy for any aquarium enthusiast with planted tanks.
- This report comments on how they feel that Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate works great. They mention how the plants in their tank are taking off and that the substrate fog cleared quickly after being added to the aquarium.
- This report comments on how Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate is much cheaper than the next best product on the market. They mention on how their water did not cloud up much when the substrate was added to their tank. They then add some pictures of their aquarium setup to show how it has all come together.
- This report comments on how they picked up a few bags of Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate for their new tank. They go on to mention that they dumped it directly into their tank without washing it. They mention that the water was cloudy at first but they left it overnight and it cleared itself up.
The image below shows the nutritional value of Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate for your plants direct from the packaging.
The Second Best Substrate For Aquariums On The Market!
In our opinion, the second best substrate on the market right now is GloFish Aquarium Gravel, although it has been designed for tanks that go for the ultraviolet look, it is available in more traditional colors too. Since its release, it quickly established itself as one of the more dominant substrate products on the market growing a loyal and dedicated core customer base of aquarium enthusiasts.
The products core customer base have left plenty of reviews online that you can read by clicking here if you like. All of those reviews have been left by independent aquarium enthusiasts who have no connection to our website and are essentially offering a third-party opinion of the product.
Features And Benefits
GloFish Aquarium Gravel is currently available in seven different colors to ensure that there is something available to meet the needs of all potential customers. It has been designed for quick and easy use and to be the perfect substrate to help anchor your plants in place with minimal effort.
Question – Can I use GloFish Aquarium Gravel for my succulent plants?
Answer – Yes, there are plenty of reports online of other aquarium enthusiasts using GloFish Aquarium Gravel for their succulent plants.
Question – Will GloFish Aquarium Gravel harm any fish in the tank?
Answer – No, it has been specifically designed to work in aquariums containing fish, plants, snails, and other animals without harming them.
Question – Does GloFish Aquarium Gravel change the pH levels of aquariums that it is used in?
Answer – No, it will have no effect on your aquariums pH levels.
- This report comments on how GloFish Aquarium Gravel is their favorite gravel and that they use it for their betta fish as well as to weigh their plants in their aquarium down.
- This report comments on how they use GloFish Aquarium Gravel to help the colors of their fish and plants pop and reality show. They also suggest you may want to vacuum clean the gravel before use as it may result in an ammonia spike but there are plenty of other reports saying this is not an issue.
- This report comments on how they feel that one bag of GloFish Aquarium Gravel is enough for a three-gallon tank. They go on to say that they needed two bags when the used the product on their five and a half gallon aquarium but it does add a thick base layer to put your plants into.
The Third Best Substrate For Planted Aquariums On The Market!
There are plenty of different reviews online that you can read by clicking here if you wish. All of those reviews are from third-party independent aquarium enthusiasts who have no connection to our website.
Features And Benefits
Fluval Plant Stratum is a mineral-rich volcanic soil that has been proven to help stimulate quick and optimum growth in aquarium plants. Its natural properties help to promote a neutral to slightly acidic pH of the water offering the perfect environment for most plants and tropical fish.
The unique texture of the substrate is perfect for your plants to expand their root systems by enabling a secure anchor that offers a wide range of nutrients. The substrate also provides the ideal refuge for newborn shrimp to hide from potential predators.
Question – How quickly does Fluval Plant Stratum breakdown into mush?
Answer – It takes around two years for it to require replacing.
Question – Is Fluval Plant Stratum classed as a “live” substrate containing bacteria?
Answer – No it is not.
Question – Do you have to cap Fluval Plant Stratum with a top layer material?
Answer – Although you can if you like, there is no requirement to do so though.
- This report comments on how they feel that Fluval Plant Stratum is a nice planting substrate that is much lighter than gravel. They also mention that the cloudiness in their tank had gone within a few hours after adding this to their tank. They go on to mention how their plants have been showing excellent growth since switching over to Fluval Plant Stratum.
- This report comments on how they chose to use Fluval Plant Stratum as the substrate in their five-gallon tank. They also mention how the cloudiness in the aquarium totally faded in only a few hours. They also go on to mention how they have new plant growth on various plants that they keep in their aquarium.
- This report comments on how they feel that Fluval Plant Stratum is a very good substrate to use if you have a planted aquarium. They go on to say that if possible, they would replace all of the sand in their aquariums with this if possible. They then finish by saying that their plants have been growing great with this.
- This report comments on how they had previously used standard soil in their aquarium until they discovered it had bark in it that would turn the water to light brown. They then go on to mention how they switch over to Fluval Plant Stratum and their tank water is now crystal clear. They also suggest that you plant all of your plants before fulling the rank to full as it reduces the risk of disturbing the substrate.
- This report comments on how they feel that Fluval Plant Stratum is a great product. They go on to mention how it is a low budget product that is ideal for planted aquariums. They mention that they have tried a number of competing products on the market but this is the best one that they have tried. They finish up by saying that the plants in their aquariums have never grown as good as they are since making the switch over to this product.