In this article, we will be taking a look at how to make a leopard gecko moist hide to offer your pet gecko somewhere to hide and relax. Many people new to reptile keeping often overlook the importance of a hide for their pet but they are an essential element of their habitat.
Leopard geckos are without a doubt one of if not the most popular type of gecko to keep as a pet so it is no surprise that we always see people reaching out for advice on habitat essentials like hides. Although there are plenty of products on the market that you can use as hides, we feel that many are a waste of time and money. Although we will be covering them in more detail throughout the article, we feel that either of these two hides will do both you and your gecko well as a moist hide:-
- Exo Terra Reptile Cave. – You can read reviews of this product from other independent leopard gecko owners by clicking here.
- Exo Terra Gecko Cave for Reptiles. – You can read reviews of this product from other independent leopard gecko owners by clicking here.
Either of those two leopard gecko moist hide ideas will be perfect. They both have excellent reputations amongst the reptile owning communities, are large enough for leopard geckos, and are cheap! In addition to either of those two hides, you can also use the following to your advantage to help offer your gecko some comfort in its cage:-
- Terrarium Sphagnum Moss – Place a little inside the idea to help keep it moist and you can put bundles of it in other locations of the habitat too if you like. You can read reviews of this product from other independent leopard gecko owners by clicking here.
- Zoo Med Eco Earth Substrate – An excellent high-quality substrate base layer that helps keep your pet gecko moist. You can read reviews of this product from other independent leopard gecko owners by clicking here.
- Fluker’s Repta Vines-Pothos – A vine substitute that can be used to offer your gecko additional cover and shade outside of its hide. You can read reviews of this product from other independent leopard gecko owners by clicking here.
- Zoo Med Humidity Gauge – Helps you keep track of the humidity in the habitat to ensure it is optimal for your pet leopard gecko.
The Best Leopard Gecko Moist Hide On The Market
With this hide being such a popular choice for reptile and leopard gecko owners there are plenty of reviews of it online from independent gecko owners. You can click here to read reviews of it that have been left by other leopard gecko owners or you can click here to read reviews of the hide left by other reptile owners.
Features And Benefits
The Exo Terra Reptile Cave has been designed to provide your pet leopard gecko with a safe, suitable, and secure hide for it to relax in as and when it pleases. It has been designed to look as natural as possible and be able to integrate it into many different designs of habitat for a gecko.
Providing a high-quality hide like this can help to both reduce and prevent stress in your pet gecko. Depending on your set up, it can naturally store moisture in the hide without any additional effort from you or you can add substrate to help it. The hide has also been designed to be as easy as possible for you to clean it with minimal effort when required.
Question – Will the x size Exo Terra Reptile Cave be large enough for my gecko?
Answer – This depends on your gecko and how long it is. The small Exo Terra Reptile Cave is around five and a half inches and each size increase from there.
- This report comments on how they feel that the Exo Terra Reptile Cave is a niche, cheap, and simply hide for their pet leopard gecko and that it is exactly what they wanted. They mention how they feel that it makes a great addition to their gecko’s terrarium and that it has plenty of room for their gecko to be comfortable.
- This report comments on how they were pleasantly surprised by the size of the Exo Terra Reptile Cave as it offers plenty of space for their leopard gecko. They mention that it easily fits an adult gecko and that it is a sturdy hide that they use as a humid hide with the addition of moss and damp paper towels.
- This report comments on how they feel that the Exo Terra Reptile Cave is a good hide for their leopard gecko. They mention that they add some damp paper towels under the hide to help keep their gecko happy.
- This report comments on how they purchased the Exo Terra Reptile Cave for their pet leopard gecko. They mention that it fits nicely into their habitat and that it is not too big. They also mention that they feel their gecko is happy and that they would recommend this to anyone else who has a pet leopard gecko.
- This report comments on how they use the Exo Terra Reptile Cave as a moist hide for their seven-year-old leopard gecko and that he loves it. They mention that he goes in without hesitation and also enjoys climbing on it for basking.
The Second Best Leopard Gecko Moist Hide On The Market
Again, there are plenty of reviews online covering this product that have been left by other reptile pet owners. You can click here to read independent reviews of this hide left by other leopard gecko owners or you can click here to read reviews of it left by with wider reptile owning community.
Features And Benefits
The Exo Terra Gecko Cave has been specifically designed to provide your leopard gecko, or any other type of gecko a secure and safe spot for it to hide and relax. Providing such a space in your gecko’s habitat helps to both reduce and prevent stress while also giving your gecko a moist place to relax.
The hide has been designed to be seemlesley added to both deset and tropical terrariums without looking out of place. Although the dimensions of the hide will change depending on the size you choose to order, the dimensions of the hole are the same and are 2.7 inches by 1.4 inches to allow easy entry and exit to the hide for your leopard gecko.
- This report comments on how they feel that the Exo Terra Gecko Cave is a great size for their pet leopard gecko and they mention that she loves it. They also say that it is her preferred place to go and sleep as well as that it stays moist for a few days rather than a few hours like some of the competing products out there.
- This report comments on how their Exo Terra Gecko Cave proved a huge success with their pet leopard gecko. They mention that their gecko enjoys it and that they make is humid for her to shed in and finish by adding some photos of their gecko in the hide.
- This report comments on how their leopard gecko likes the Exo Terra Gecko Cave a lot. They mention that it is a very durable hide that looks more realistic than the ones they have found in their local pet stores.