In this article, we will be taking a look at the best cat litter for rats available on the market today. Many people overlook kitty litter when looking for something for their rats to do their business on but provided you get a product made out of paper pellets that is a no clumping mixture you will be fine.
This prevents your pet rats breathing in any dust from the kitty litter resulting in potential lung issues. As it is no clumping there is also no risk of it clumping up and your rats consuming any of the kitty litter and it causing a blockage in their intestines.
The Best Cat Litter For Rats
Features And Benefits
Yesterday’s News by Purina is veterinarian recommended for use with your pets. It is environmentally friendly as it is made from 100% recycled paper that will decompose without issue.
Purina’s production method has been specifically designed to make these paper pellets up to three times more absorbent than the majority of its clay-based rival kitty litters. It has excellent odor control and has been tested and proven to be 99.7 percent dust free.
Question – Is this product scented?
Answer – No, this is the unscented version that is recommended for use with rats although there are scented versions available.
Question – Can you compost this product?
Answer – Although this will decompose fine in a compost heap the scent of your rats waste in the paper can attract other animals to your compost. The more modern compost bins can help reduce the smell from leaking out and attracting animals.
Question – Can you flush this litter?
Answer – We do not recommend that you flush this litter down your toilet as it can expand with water and cause a blockage. As it is recyclable it can be thrown out as garden waste without issue though.
- This report comments on how the rat owner went through a number of different products before settling on Yesterday’s News. They then go on to comment on how its a favorite of their rats.
- This report comments on how it’s a great product that has no dust and has caused no allergic reactions in the owner’s rats that are usually sensitive to these products.
- This report comments on how this is a good dust free paper for rats.
- This report comments on how this product has a good absorbance level and is mostly odorless while being safe for rats.
The Second Best Cat Litter For Rats
Features And Benefits
The paper pellets that this kitty litter consists of also contains baking soda to help minimize any potential odor from your rats waste. This gives it outstanding odor control to prevent any hard smells in your home.
It is super absorbent with over three times more absorption than the leading clay brands helping to keep your rat’s cage clean. It is estimated that this works out to be around seventy percent increased value for money than using a clay brand that can cause problems for your pet rats. As it absorbs so much of your rats waste it makes cleaning your pet’s cage much easier as you can simply scoot out the kitty litter.
Question – Is this safe to use with your pet rats?
Answer – Yes, it is both clump and dust free making it safe for use with your pet rats.
Question – Can you flush this down the toilet?
Answer – No, it will expand on contact with water and can block your toilet’s plumbing. Simply throw the litter out with your rubbish once used.
Question – Is this litter scented?
Answer – No, it is scent free.
- This report comments on how this kitty litter is much better than some of the leading competitors when used for rats.
- This report comments on how this is the perfect product if you have a rat with a sensitive respiratory system. They then go on to say how this is outperforming the other brands that they have used in the past.
- This report comments on their four rats and two cats all love this kitty litter.
What To Look For In A Kitty Litter For Rats
If you choose to go with a different product rather than one of the ones we mentioned above then these are the main things that we recommend you try to find the product.
As we touched on earlier in the article, paper pellets are almost 100% dust free. This helps reduce the chances of your rats having any sensitivity issues with the kitty litter that you choose to use for them.
Additionally, they are usually more absorbent than the other variants of kitty litter out there helping to make cage cleaning easier and reduce smells.
Ensure that the kitty litter you choose for your pet rats is clump-free. Although it is rare, there have been some reports of rats eating clumps of kitty litter and it resulting in intestinal blockages.