As aquarium keeping keeps going from strength to strength each year, it is no surprise that we are seeing more and more aquarium enthusiasts reaching out to us for assistance with their aquarium related problems.
In this article, we will be taking a look at the best and quickest ways you are able to remove or reduce the nitrate levels in your freshwater aquarium with as little effort as possible.
How To Get Nitrates Down In An Aquarium
Our initial piece of advice is always to track your nitrate levels in your freshwater aquarium to let you track its levels as well as your progress in lowering them. To do this you can pick up a cheap, high-quality nitrate level checker for your aquarium and record your levels on a notepad as you go.
Manually checking the nitrate levels on a regular basis can help alert you of any unexpected spikes in nitrates giving you plenty of time to treat the issue. Additionally, it will also allow you to track the performance of your nitrate reducing product of choice as unfortunately, there are many out there that are low-quality and do little to nothing for you.
Thankfully, we have found two items that are cheap and have an excellent reputation in the aquarium enthusiast community that you can use to your advantage. Either of these products will work fine and you do not need to use both of them. We will be covering them in greater detail later in the article but they are the Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media and the Acurel Infused Media Pads.
They both have slightly different usage instructions so be sure to follow the instructions included with the product and they will help to get your aquarium nitrate levels in order in no time at all.
Aquarium Nitrate Removal Products – The Best Nitrate Remover For Freshwater Aquariums On The Market
Since its release onto the market, it has gone from strength to strength and established itself as one of the leading nitrate removers out there. Additionally, it has also managed to grow a large core following of other aquarium enthusiasts who use this as their go-to nitrate control product for their tanks.
There are also plenty of reviews online of the product that you can read that have been left by third-party, independent aquarium enthusiasts to help offer additional opinions of the product.
Features And Benefits
The Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media has been specifically designed to help lower nitrate levels in your aquarium with as little effort as possible. The product has open flow technology to increase the efficiency of the water treatment to speed up its nitrate reducing properties.
Simply follow the included instructions to ensure optimal treatment for the specific size of your aquarium as quickly as possible. Although this article is focused towards owners of freshwater aquariums, you can also use the treatment in any saltwater tanks you may also have that need their nitrate levels controlling. In addition to being able to help control nitrate levels, these can also help to control ammonia too.
Question – Can the Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media be buried in the tanks substrate to hide its appearance while still lowering nitrate levels?
Answer – We would not recommend you bury the treatment as we suspect its efficiency would be affected. If you want to hide the appearance in your tank try to hide it in plants or in an ornament.
Question – Does the Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media hold beneficial bacteria?
Answer – Yes, it is designed to be the perfect habitat for beneficial nitrate-reducing bacteria in your tank and can be used instead of bio balls, ceramic rings, and other bio media.
Question – How long do Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media last?
Answer – This depends on too many factors to give an accurate answer for everyone. There are multiple reports online of people reporting their product lasting between six months and three years.
- This report comments on how they have ordered Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media multiple times now and that they never plan on having an aquarium without them again. They mention that they have never received a broken block in their order and that they are very happy with everything and will buy more for their next tank.
- This report comments on how they feel that the Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media is the best media that they have used to grow healthy bacteria colonies. They mention that it has helped to reduce their tanks nitrate levels lower than anything they had been able to achieve previously and that they use these anywhere they can now.
- This report comments on how they feel that Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media is as good as it gets. They mention that it is adaptable and that it can be fit into blocks, chunks or sphears to make it easier to place in your tank. They mention that the small size of the product also helps to open up more space in your tank for more fish when compared to other products.
- This report comments on how they are a big fan of bacterial based filtration over mechanical or chemical products making them an instant fan of Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media.
- This report comments on how they feel Marinepure High-Performance Ceramic Biofilter Media are a must have for any reef enthusiast. They mention how it took a few weeks before they were able to notice a difference but once they kicked in it was night and day.
An Independent Video Overview
The Second Best Nitrate Remover For Freshwater Aquariums On The Market
Features And Benefits
The Acurel Infused Media Pads have been specifically designed to quickly and easily reduce the nitrate levels in your freshwater aquarium. Not only does it promote the growth and development of beneficial bacteria colonies within your tank but it does so with no additional effort required from you.
The new design helps to hold its shape and decrease the water through rate of the pad helping to increase its life period. Its thick rigid design helps you place the pad in tanks with sharp rocks without damaging it to ensure the treatment can be used in even heavily decorated tanks.
Question – How thick is the Acurel Infused Media Pad?
Answer – It depends on the dimensions of the ones ordered as the different sizes have different widths.